In February Emily will be starting a ‘Forest Church’ at school. This will allow the children to explore their own spirituality and learn more about Gods creation. Each session will have an element of craft, storytelling and a time of quiet reflection or prayer. This new scheme will last for 6 weeks so please don’t forget to remember it in your prayers
Stations of the Cross
The moving service of Stations of the Cross will take place on two Sundays during Lent: 4th March and 18th March, at 6.30 pm. This gives us an opportunity to reflect on the passion of Our Lord and make inward preparations for Holy Week.
Mothering Sunday this year falls on 11th March, which is the second Sunday of March. The Family Eucharist for March will be moved from 4th to 11th March at 9.30 am to help us mark Mothering Sunday.
Palm Sunday 25th March
- 8 am Holy Eucharist with blessing of Palms at Saint Giles
- 9.30 am Sung Eucharist with blessing of Palms and Procession beginning at Saint Giles Barn
- 11 am Holy Communion with blessing of Palms at Christ Church
- 6.30 pm Breathing Space
Wednesday in Holy Week 28th MARCH
Our organist, Dr. Stephen Oxley, is organising a performance of Stainer’s ‘Crucifixion’ on the evening of the Wednesday in Holy Week. This is to prepare us for the observance of the sacred days of Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Day. It will take place at 7.30 pm on 28th March in Saint Giles Church. Entrance free. The performance will be followed by refreshments.
The Wednesday evening Eucharist will be brought forward to 10 am that morning.
Maundy Thursday 29th March
There will be no Thursday morning Eucharist because it is not normal to celebrate the Eucharist on Maundy Thursday morning except at the Cathedral for the blessing of the Holy Oils.
7.30 pm Sung Eucharist at Saint Giles including the washing of feet, stripping of the altars, and watch until midnight
Good Friday 30th March
- 12 noon Churches Together Good Friday Service at Park Head
- 2 pm The Liturgy for Good Friday at Saint Giles, including Veneration of the Cross.
Holy Saturday 31st March
- 7.30 pm The Easter Vigil and First Eucharist of Easter
Easter Sunday 1st April
- 8 am Eucharist
- 9.30 am Family Eucharist and Blessing of Easter Garden
- 11 am Holy Communion at Christ Church
- 6.30 pm Easter Evensong at Dethick Church
Tuesday 10th April
- 7 pm Eucharist
- 7.30 pm Annual Parochial Church Meeting for election of churchwardens and PCC members and for the presentation of accounts and reports for 2017.
Saint Giles Day
Bishop Jan, Bishop of Repton, will be visiting Saint Giles on Sunday 9th September. We will postpone Saint Giles Day to 9th September so that we can celebrate together with Bishop Jan. Bishop Jan will be giving the address that day. Bishop Jan decided that on this occasion she did not wish to preside at the Eucharist.