Guild chapel window
The (much inferior) north window of the Guild Chapel, illustrates the Ascension of Our Lord. The information that it dates from 1882 and is the work of the London firm of T. Baillie & Co. may be gleaned from a very faded inscription in the lower section of the central light. That the design shows no trace of the influence of the contemporary Aesthetic Movement may be explained by its being among the last works of its maker, Thomas Baillie, whose firm, begun in 1838, ceased trading in 1883. The garish colouring and conventional composition of the window are characteristic of (especially) the commercial work of the earlier period and were by 1882 out of fashion in up-to-date artistic circles where subdued, not to say sometimes sombre, colouring and more accomplished figure drawing were expected.