West window of the South Aisle
The west window of the south aisle is by the Kempe firm and was given in 1914. The firm was then owned by W.E. Tower, Kempe’s nephew and his rebus may be seen in a tracery light super-imposed on the well-known ‘wheatsheaf’ mark. The glass illustrates the Crucified Lord with adoring saints including St Giles, St Chad, St Hugh of Lincoln and St Werburgh in the left hand light and the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Peter, St Stephen and St Luke in the right hand light. St Luke is included no doubt because the window was in memory of Dr Hunter, physician to Smedley’s Hydro, and his wife.