We are a very active primary school in Matlock. We hope that this gives you a flavour of our life and work together. There are more pictures in the gallery. Please visit the school’s website if you would like to know more.
We have superb grounds with lots of opportunities for outdoor learning. With small classes the children are supported in every respect to help them to become well-rounded individuals.
We are proud to be part of Derby Diocesan Academy Trust (DDAT) and our Christian ethos underpins everything we do.
We want our children to be able to:
- use Skills, Knowledge and Understanding to think for themselves and act for others
- experience and enjoy diverse relationships
- choose to journey in faith
- be resilient, confident and compassionate
- enjoy life in all its fullness
We are extremely proud of our pupils at St Giles who are supported in their learning by dedicated staff in a thriving learning environment, working in partnership with governors, parents and our volunteers.
At St Giles CE Primary School we teach an inspiring National Curriculum which enables the children to Engage, Develop, Innovate and Express. Our expectations are high and this has raised attainment greatly over the past two years. The dedicated staff are enthusiastic and support the children to achieve, develop and be happy. We are also passionate about extra-curricular activities and experiences we can give the children outside of the classroom.
- We give our pupils a broad and balanced curriculum. We plan cross-curricular topics that provide exciting and interesting opportunities for children to practise the skills they learn.
- We teach Literacy and Numeracy daily throughout the year groups and Science weekly but linked to the topic theme.
- As a Church of England school our Christian ethos runs throughout the curriculum, the children take part in weekly RE lessons which teach about all faiths which are planned using the Derbyshire Agreed Religious Education syllabus. We also hold services at St Giles Church.
- Opportunities are taken to provide outdoor learning in our wonderful school grounds and children visit locations linked to the topic or have workshops in school regularly. Every child at St Giles attends Forest Craft in the schools wonderful grounds. They are taught bush craft skills (shelter building, fire lighting, outdoor survival skills) nature preservation and conservation. The weather is never an issue and the objective is to get outdoors and enjoy what nature has to offer.
- Children receive whole class music tuition through the Derbyshire Music Partnership’s wider opportunities scheme and pupils have thoroughly enjoyed learning Ukulele and Samba over the past two years.
- The PE curriculum includes gymnastics, dance, football, tag rugby, netball, volleyball, hockey, orienteering and cross country. Children in Key Stage 2 have the opportunity to go swimming at The Arc Leisure Centre. We take part in Highfields Cluster primary school events which allow us access to their sports facilities and to compete against other local primary schools.
To learn more about St Giles CE Primary School please do visit us in action, visiting us is a great way for you to find out what it is like to be a pupil at St Giles School. You will be made to feel most welcome! Or visit our blog to see what we have been doing.
St Giles CofE Primary School, Starkholmes Road, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3DD
Head Teacher – Mrs Liz Foster
School Business Officer- Mrs S Bednall
Tel 01629 56813
A member of Derby Diocesan Academy Trust (Company number 09442311)