The Victorian restoration took place in stages over a long period. The former chancel was rebuilt in 1859, although a part of the north wall, containing a medieval aumbry, now concealed by modem oak doors, was allowed to remain standing. The work was carried out to the designs of G.H. Stokes, son-in-law to Sir Joseph Paxton.
According to W.N. Statham the form of the east window was copied from a window in the church of St John the Baptist at Meopham in Kent. If the original is indeed in the Decorated style of the early fourteenth century, the copy lacks the refined delicacy one would have expected. Its heavy mullions and tracery are much more characteristic of the High Victorian era.
The two windows to the south of the sanctuary were originally separated by a doorway and their present arrangement results from the addition of the Lady Chapel to the south of the chancel in 1897. The opening of the archway into the chapel necessitated the loss of the doorway and the two windows being set side by side. At this time the south aisle was once again reconstructed and enlarged by P.H. Currey of Derby, an architect whom Professor Pevsner considered ‘worthy of being better known’, commending especially his ‘sound and sensitive churches’ (Christ Church, Holloway is a particularly fine and large-scale local example).
The three-bay nave had already in 1871 been rebuilt by Benjamin Wilson of Derby, an architect whose work included the new church at Swanwick, the Town Hall at Ashbourne and (now-demolished) an extension to Alfreton Hall.